04 May “Pil-Pil” Codfish with fried Castilian Chickpeas Olmeda Orígenes
Ingredients: (4 people)
- 4 Salted cod loins special flap “Pil Pil” (1 tray) Olmeda Orígenes
- 4 or 5 cloves garlic
- 250 ml of Extra Virgin Olive Oil Olmeda Orígenes.
- 2 “Piparras” sweet chilli Olmeda Orígenes
- 400 gr. of Castilian Chickpeas Simes.
- 1 onion
Tip: The cod must be desalted, as our codfish loins Olmeda Orígenes are salted they need to be at least 48 hours before consumption on water and change the water every 6 or 8 hours.
- We have to cover the pan with one centimetre of our extra virgin olive oil and then fry chopped garlic and chopped chilli. Don’t let them burn, because it would embitter the oil. Remove the garlic and Piparra “swet Chilli” from the oil and reserve.
- Add the cod loins to the hot oil, and let them sweat; they will start dropping their gelatine. Keep it on low heat until it has dropped all its gelatine, and them remove it from the heat.
- While the cod is sweating, take another pan and put a spoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil Olmeda Orígenes and add a chopped onion and a sweet chilli pepper “piparra”. When the onion begins to be transparent, add the Castilian chickpeas from Simes and raise the heat. Cover the pan with a lid and fry the ch
ickpeas for 5 or 10 minutes until they become golden, moving occasionally to prevent sticking.
Tip: The secret of a “Pil Pil” is that the oil must be emulsified with a fat, which in this case is the cod gelatine.
- Using a strainer, shake the oil with the gelatine until it gets a yellow colour with a great creamy texture.
- Cook the cod a few minutes (to not be raw) then add the “Pil Pil” sauce and the garlic and chillies that we had reserved previously and serve with the Castilian chickpeas. Olmeda Orígenes always Best Spanish Food.